May 29, 2006

Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day. A day to honor and remember all that have given their lives to make this country a wonderful place to live. I feel blessed to live here and have the freedom to live my life as I see it. Thank you to everyone who has served and is serving this country.

I attended the annual Memorial Day parade in West Chester, Ohio today. I'm not sure why I ever stopped going to parades since I love them. Watching the children wave and smile as the parade goes by. Or scamper around to get any candy tossed from the people actually in the parade. I even saw dog bones being given to dogs panting in the shade. (it is a very hot and humid day here). Of course the bands are my favorite since I participated in band while in school.


The following tow truck is my favorite vehicle of the parade. Because I know they honor our soliders 365 days a year not when the holiday calls for it.
I decided to attend the ceremony after the parade held at the local cemetery. They had a few remarkable speakers that really made me think and reflect on my life. I will definitely take to heart the words they said. One reflected on the fact most people do not treat the star spangle banner with respect. I definitely have noticed this over the years as well. As a photographer that shoots a lot of sporting events, I always put the camera down when the athem is played. Other photographers continue to shoot pictures and say it is their job. To me, my job can wait while the anthem is played. The below picture was shot before they raised the flag and the anthem was played.


The fly over was done at the end of the memorial ceremony.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Memorial Day and remembered it was a day to honor our military and not just another day off work.

No comments: