May 25, 2007

Some Confusion

Everyone knows the postage rate changed. I saw the highlights of it and tried to determine what that would mean to me. At first it seemed great. It was going to be cheaper per ounce after the standard rate. BUT, apparently there was a package size change now too. So instead of being a normal size letter my photo packaging is considered large envelope. I found out that small detail the first time I mailed something after May 14th. The next time I was prepared and was planning on what stamps to buy so I could go back to doing the postage myself instead of always running to the post office. Things were consistent so I made a list of the different stamp amounts I wanted to buy next time I went to the post office. Next time I went they charged me for first class packages instead of large envelopes. AHHHH! Luckily I went to get my postage checked otherwise I would have had things returned to me. Today I mailed more things and again the first class package rate. The person who assisted me was very nice but he was confused too on all the changes. What he had to give me only has the basic rate information. Nothing for packages. And still nothing that helps me with the new size stuff. After reading up on the USPS website again I see a bullet point that say large envelopes have to be flexible otherwise they are considered packages. Since I definitely do not what photographs I'm mailing to be bent I always use a stiff packaging. So, now once again I think I have the new mail rates figured out. I have more stuff to mail soon. Wish me luck!


No comments: