September 20, 2007

Ursuline Academy At Oak Hills

This was the second time I got to cover the Ursuline teams and the varsity Oak Hills team. I love covering teams for second time because I get a better feel for how the players play together. I am almost always at a game 25 minutes early to watch the teams warm up to try to get a feel for them but it is not quite the same thing. The forecast called for rain and looking at radar I was a little worried these games might be played in some heavy rain. Gathering all my rain gear I headed out. On the way there I drove through a really heavy downpour. The cars on the highway were going about 30mph with flashers on as everyone tried to see. I was regretting my choice of taking my car instead of my truck. Luckily that downpour did not hit the field. While the JV game had some sprinkles the Varsity game was dry. Because of the clouds the lights were on by the end of the JV game which had me a bit worried for the Varsity game. I moved around a lot in the first half trying to capture as much as I could because I knew by the second half I would be limited to photographing whatever action came into the lighted parts of the field. I think you will be able to see the difference in lighting from the JV and Varsity games below.

Eye on ball. She is so good at trapping the ball, I was happy to get a clear shot like this.

Ball on foot.
I little tugging.

Here is the start of the Varsity pictures.
Ouch!




Below is how the image came out with the lighting.
I played a bit and got rid of some of the noise - I know this is not the true image so it bothers me to make that big of a change to an image and call it "true".




No comments: