December 1, 2007

Start of Basketball Season

I know the season started last week but last night was the first game I covered this season. I am always a little worried about the first game I cover. There is a big difference in the way I approach the different sports I cover so the start of every season I have to get back up to speed on the way I photograph that sport. First thing I did was go back through images from a few of last years games as well as a workshop I attended last year. That helps me remember where on the floor I liked shooting from and where I was not so successful from as well. I got to the gym early like I try to do for any game to watch the teams warm up. A few minutes into the first game I was feeling a little better about things. After the game I quickly scanned through a few frames to see how things were going. Something I normally do not do. From what I could see on the little screen I was okay with. The night proceeded okay and I am okay with the way things turned out for the first game I covered. I also know where I need to improve and a few other things. When I was going through the proofs after the game before posting them online I saw the one below and just had to laugh a little. My timing was way off for what I was trying to capture - a player in a defensive stance as the opposing player takes the ball down the court. See for yourself how I did with that...

How's that for timing? I will post more game images at some point. Right now I need to finish up my backups and prepare to leave for 3 more games today.

1 comment:

Aneesa said...

What timing :-)