February 18, 2008

Oak Hills Freshmen Invitational

This wrestling Invitational happened back on January 19th. It was a start to a full day of photographing wrestling for me. After this event I covered a varsity match in the evening. By the end of the day my back was definitely sore. I like to get as close to the floor as possible to photograph wrestling because a lot of the action happens down on the mat. This means I am hunched over or leaning to my side. Sometimes I lay on the ground but I hate the fact that I am not mobile at that point. You never know when some of the action is going to come at your way fast and you need to move. Even though I am at the edge of the mat sometimes the momentum of the wrestlers carry them off the mat so that is what I need to be aware of.

During the preliminary rounds of the event there were 4 mats in use. That kept me hoping from one point to another. Especially since I like to get clean backgrounds whenever I can. If I can avoid getting another match in the background of the one I am photographing I try to get myself in a position to do so. Here are some images from the day.






No comments: