March 11, 2008

Oak Hills Bowling

During this past season I photographed a ton of basketball. While I love basketball I decided that I really needed to break away from it for a few days so I could stay fresh when covering games. I did a few different things to try to remain creative and not get burnt out. One thing I really wanted to try was photographing bowling. I want to thank Western Bowl and Oak Hills for allowing me to photograph the warm-ups before a match. They actually let me walk down the gutters and take pictures from down by the pins. Since this would be a little distracting to some bowlers during the match I was only allowed there during warm-ups. That was fine with me. Now, I have commented about low lighting in gyms but they do not even come close to bowling alleys. I knew this going in so I was not even sure if I could get any quality images. I regret not taking my 300mm lens which would allow me to get closer to the bowlers and remove any cropping needs. But since I wanted to keep my equipment to a minimum I only brought one camera and my 80-200mm lens. I did have a backup camera and lens in my waist bag just in case. It was a fun change of pace and I am glad I went. These are my first attempt at capturing bowling. Let me know what you think.




I had to do a collage of this bowler. He was warming up in the lane almost dead in front of where I was balanced on the ball return.



1 comment:

neysaruhl said...

BOWLING!!! I love it!

Yes, sometimes a 'change of scenery' is good for us. I understand completely.

This looks like a super fun shoot!
N