June 13, 2008

Rain Barrel

What to do a hot and humid day? I know, install a rain barrel :) I leave a lot of house projects for June since that is traditionally the slow time for my business. I have been wanting rain barrels for awhile and finally found ones I liked and ordered them on Monday while on vacation. They said it would take a least a week to shipping and then of course the shipping time. Perfect. That gave me time to prepare for them. They arrived yesterday. Hmm, 4 days to get here including the day I actually placed the order. That was fast. With the forecast for rain this weekend I really wanted to get them in place. It took me about 3 hours to do one barrel. Did I mention I got 2 and that they are 50 gallon oak barrels previous used to make Kentucky Bourbon? A little heavy and awkward to move. Not entirely finished with the area but it is functional for now. The barrel rests on some large rocks and then I used more rocks to create a place to set my watering can. I need to landscape it a little better and then plant some ground cover so it looks better. First I need to find the energy to do the other one. Oh, if you smell a little bourbon around my house it is from the barrels and not me:) Here is the installed barrel.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great idea with all the rain we've had lately!